Lately one of my best friends has been having a hard time being generally discontented with life. (This is the same best friend who takes Baby Bean's pictures.) She's been quite down, which has been hard for me to see. I always want everyone in my life to be happy, so I feel like it is my duty to help them achieve happiness when I can, especially for someone I care so much about.
Last week my husband and I watched a TV show that named their top 10 places to eat cheese-filled meals, one of which was a fancy fondue restaurant in New York. A light bulb went on over my head as I thought about the unused fondue pot Hubs and I had been given for our wedding. I needed to have a fondue party with my friend! The next day I sent my friend an email, asking her if she was game to come have a fun-filled fondue party. She was completely excited at the idea. For the next few hours we talked about what kind of fondue we would make and what we would dip in it. We couldn't wait.
Saturday finally came around, and just after 4:00 my red-headed BFF graced my doorstep. We packed Baby Bean in the car and went to the store to buy cheese, veggies, fruit, and chocolate. Once home, the cheese melting began. Sadly, we were unable to find one cheese the recipe called for, so we substituted, and we are pretty sure the flavor was no where near what it should have been. It was all right, but it wasn't great. Next time we'll try a different recipe before substituting cheese.
While we waited for the first course of cheese-covered steak, shrimp, crab, pretzels, toasted bread, and celery to settle, we went to visit my best friend who just got back from doing IVF in Turkey. The cycle didn't take. We had invited her to the party, but she opted out. She needed her time to grieve, so we took her flowers and gourmet popcorn (her favorite) and visited with her for a bit. She is doing remarkably well and bouncing back from her disappointment quickly, just as I thought she would. She is gearing up to go back and try again at Christmas time. One thing she kept saying over and over was, "It's the Lord's plan. There has to be a reason." It really sucks knowing that someone I care about in real life so much is going through this.
After we had our chat, Red and I headed home for THE BEST part of the evening. Chocolate fondue with fresh bananas, strawberries, grapes, and apples. Oh.My.Gosh! It was sooooo good! We made it with He.rshey's chocolate, and it was to die for. We both pigged out as we watched the broadway version of Victor/Victoria with Ju.lie An.drews. Between the two of us, we cleaned up almost ALL of the fondue.
During the last part of the evening, I just kept thinking that this is the friendship I always wanted and never had until I met this wonderful woman. It took us 29 years to cross each other's paths, but you'd never know we've only been friends for a couple of years, as opposed to our whole lives. I didn't want the night to end. I have never had such a good girl friendship before. There is never a hint of envy or jealousy between us. We are always so happy for each other when the other is happy, we are sad when the other is sad, we cheer each other on, we boost each other up, we're here for each other no matter what. I've never had that in a girl friend before I moved here, and now I have it in three wonderful women. How blessed am I? I guess God is making up for the first 29 years of my life where I didn't have that.
All I can say is I am so grateful for these three spectacular, wonderful women and the blessing they are in my life. They fill me with such joy, and I love them all so very much. I appreciate the fulfilling relationships I have with each of them. I am blessed for sure.
0 nhận xét: on "Fun-do"
Post a Comment