Sunday, August 15, 2010

A good Cleaning and Tweaking never hurt anyone

Alright I know this isn't usual pace with me, I normally report on gaming news and reviews but I was approached with an interesting request this afternoon.


"A PR representative named Alise Johnson representing a system optimizer, named Digeus wrote me a very short but sweet email asking me to try and review their product. At first I was skeptical, I mean I never get emails from software companies asking me to test their product let alone publish a unbiased review for it. So I did some research, I had to make sure it wasn't some sort of scam, where if I download it a virus attacks my computer and steals any data. I'm over cautious like that, I only found download sites for the product and mentions of use around the net so I figured 'What could it hurt?'.


Obviously I agreed and downloaded the provided link for the software. Now when I first started messing around I had a good feeling of what a system optimizer was and what the basic features would be. Clear junk files, safe uninstalls, registry work, the whole clean up and make faster kit and caboodle. The download finished and I scanned the main menu within seconds to get a good view of what I had to work with.


There are 5 total menus, Optimize, Tweak, Security, Windows Tools, and Administer. The first one you are graced with is the Optimize menu which has a wide array of standard tools to delete and compress items on your computer to increase the speed. As per usual with current day software, there was a Tip of The Day greeting box with the lowest amount of tips I have seen on one to date. I counted 5 tips before it could loop back to the first tip I saw. It isn't much of a loss really, seeing as how many people don't really pay attention to the tips within anyway.


I, however, did take one of the suggestions, which is the first and it tells me that "The Optimization Wizard is the best place to start". I found it placed at the top easily, ready to begin my journey to decent optimization. 10 steps to a better optimized PC, it's all it takes and all 10 happen to be main options in the main menus, most on the first Optimize menu. I had fun at first, that is a fact because I never know too much about computer software so it seemed like a learning process. The first couple steps gave me the option to shut down process that could end up being bad and even stop them from turning on when my computer turns on. It does save me a bunch of grief but it did show some very, VERY crucial process that could make your computer freak out like any one of us (nerds) if we were the highest bidder on a Rare collectible.


And yes, I did stop one of the most important processes. I had not known but bits of information about a certain process which I remember could be bad but I never knew for a fact. So I "killed" the process and my computer rolled right into the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). This is where I give a big kudos to Digeus, within the very important and scary menu which you could "Kill" a important process they have given a Query Internet feature which sends you to Google with said process already searched for you. Be advised not to take one site for your deciding factor, it could end badly. But I did think that was a feature that needed to be added to other system optimizers.


But that is where the innovation and the feeling of interest end. This felt like a carbon copy of most system optimizers, all the actions just seem too familiar. They do simplify things for newer computer users in some areas but there is nothing else really new to it. Even some of the actions feel useless for everyday users who aren't well versed in the PC world. A Analyze Disk space usage which shows what things use up what amount of your computers power, another action in which it just gives standard information about your computer (in which you could find through control panel), and even an entire menu full of the Windows tools that are already located on your PC. I can see how they can be useful to guys who constantly tweak performance on their PCs and have deep knowledge of the software but this feels like it should be aimed at a generic low knowledge user base.


That doesn't mean it's bad, but I believe they just catered to the wrong crowd and should weed out a few options. I feel there is room for improvement and I think they have the capability to do so if they chose."


There you are, Alise my unbiased review. I hope that you got what you were looking for.


For the rest of the readers, I will have my pics from Quakecon and otherwise up within the next couple days, and maybe even a movie review on Scott Pilgrim. You never know with me.


PR0DIGI0US


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 nhận xét: on "A good Cleaning and Tweaking never hurt anyone"

Post a Comment