Wednesday, August 25, 2010

5-10-15-20: Websites

Part of a continuing series. Click here for the original: http://tikkimann.blogspot.com/2010/08/5-10-15-20.html


Click here for the second part: http://tikkimann.blogspot.com/2010/08/5-10-15-20-television.html


Age 5


Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia


We didn't really have the internet when I was 5. I think we got Netscape when I was six, but I didn't use it much, unless school said I had to. I'll tell you what, though: Compton's was the shit, son. You wanted to look up something way back when, you'd boot up this CD filled with wonderous knowledge and waited as the disc loaded behind a rather long title screen--and you enjoyed waiting, because that title screen music was awesome. (This CD-I intro's pretty good, too. I wish I could find the original:)



If you wanted to know anything about anything, it seemed like you could find it there. Links leading to prime ministers, native history, famous sports teams...it was all there, at the filling of a "Search" bar. Related topics had linked words, and there were insightful pictures to boot. This might seem all cursory now, but at the time it was a revelation.


I concede, with great irony, that I looked the encyclopedia up on Wikipedia to make sure my information on the subject was correct. But I wish I had a not-17-years-dated version of Compton's on me, sometimes. For one, there was that awesome theme music. Second, it's hard to find an encyclopedia full of reliable information, all located in one place; I remember citing Compton's as late as the early 2000's because it was just so much handier than searching the internet to find related, credible articles on 6 different sites. (Obviously, Wikipedia doesn't count. And again, that site has no theme music at all.) It's comforting to know that you have a reliable, concise resource of information at your side when confronting a research assignment, and not having to deal with a whole bunch of search engines on increasingly-specific sites. I suppose I could find a newer encyclopedia with vetted articles online if I paid a monthly fee, but I doubt I'll get the peace of mind I once found by pulling that tawny-brown CD out of its case.


Age 10


Neopets: www.neopets.com/



It was like drugs: we all did it. (Kidding, ma! Dial 911 if you feel a sharp pain in your arm.) As with the RPGs I began playing around that time, I would spend hours getting neopoints, attempting to get the best goods so that my Neopet would be competitive in the Battledome! (The Battledome was, of course, a merely-competent turn-based fighting game for the virtual pets that somehow took years to finish making.) I played all kinds of flash games on there on my off hours, both the originals and the cheap ripoffs of popular titles, and accrued my Neopoints greedily. I attended to my shop, I levelled up my two rare pets, a Cybunny and a Poogle, and admittedly had a pretty good time.


As I grew up, I went on to play more mature games, or otherwise wasted time on flash games on other websites that were not as complex, but my end goal was always fun, and never Neopoints.


Like many of my friends, though, I have not been able to access my account, or most of my secondary accounts, for years because I forgot my password. Sure, they'll send it to you via e-mail, but if you fudged your birthday when you signed up, they won't send you anything: you must confirm the birthday you told them at the start. And I gave them who-knows-what date, because I wanted access to the parts of the site that were denied to you unless you say you are 13.


My first, greatly-successful account has already been deleted, in a massive sweep of the site's old files, and many of the ones I made subsequently are sure to follow. On the other hand, I have faked my age on many a site when I was young to get the full experience, and I suppose it's fair that I receive what's coming to me.


Age 15


Metacritic



As part of my desire to live the best life I possibly can, I decided to start paying attention to critics of music, film, video games and to a lesser extent, television. Music critics had a large influence in my decision to purchase Demon Days, the second Gorillaz album, which was immensely influential in my life, and since then I listened to what critics had to say about a piece of art before I spent money on it.


It's been an interesting experience. There was a point a few months in where I wouldn't watch anything that most critics disliked, much to the shagrin of friends and family, who just wanted to go out and see an Adam Sandler movie. I toned that back after a while, and even set aside a few films/games whose critical reception I would pay little attention to, so that I could enter the theatre with an unbiased mind--but I was weak, and information was plentiful, and I often ended up entering the theatre/album/etc. knowing a little bit more about the film than I should have. I became a little pretentious, frowning upon art that was critically reviled--and sometimes, even the people who enjoyed them--while praising and discussing in-depth those that were well-received. (Assuming I liked them, too, of course.)


Recently, I've been able to accept what I've known for years: critics provide their opinions regarding a piece of art, but liking something that most critics don't like doesn't necessarily say anything about you, and disliking something many critics like is the same. When a catchy pop song comes on, I should feel it for myself, and use music criticism as a guide, at best. The same goes for all else that is subjective.


Age 20


Facebook



I actually boycotted the site for quite some time in my youth. Why go to a website to talk with friends...when I can talk with friends? I still agree with that statement, but like texting, there are kinds of conversations that are better posted when the person you wish to speak to is not able to immediately respond. (Length of phone conversation/discussion about going to the movies: 8 minutes. Length of time in text form: 1 minute. Ideally.) As well, I have a number of friends in two distant places now, and Facebook allows me to connect with them both. Finally, I quit Facebook a few weeks ago, as part of an attempt to spend more time outside and actually with people, but I missed out on an event that was posted exclusively on Facebook, and I knew many more would follow, so I'm back. It seems now that everyone uses it, there is no escape. Lousy Facebook...

Source: http://tikkimann.blogspot.com/2010/08/5-10-15-20-websites.html


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 nhận xét: on "5-10-15-20: Websites"

Post a Comment