Friday, July 8, 2011

E²: Paris

id='post-body-1437074681991518723'>
Well, my first impression with Paris is mixed.
I had the most horrific time at arriving at the Paris train station on the Eurostar. I needed to reserve my rail tickets for the rest of my trip and it took over 30 minutes for me to find the right place because no one would help me locate it and it had really bad signage. Then, I had to pay to use the restroom... but I didn't have any Euros. So I had to go on a search for the ATM, which again no one was very helpful in assisting me. Finally, trying to figure out how to buy a ticket for the metro was horrendous. The information booth person decided to close right as I got up to the counter (even though they were supposed to be open for another hour) and if it wasn't for the Metro app on my itouch that I have I would have been horribly lost. I bought a one way ticket... I figure once I talk to the hostel people I can decide what type of pass to purchase. Then I got on the train. Compared to London, the Paris metro system is AWFUL. They don't have good signage, it is really dirty, and trying to figure out where to get off is difficult. Once I finally got to the correct stop it took me ages to find my hostel. It prolly would have been easier if I wasn't so flustered- but I walked up and down the street with all my luggage 3 times before I found it (and only thanks to a kind gentleman in a cafe). I ended up eating at said cafe for dinner and had a wonderful crepe and a coke for 8 Euros- very reasonable for dinner. One thing I've realized is that I am totally overwhelmed and feel like a deer in headlights with this whole French thing. I know all of 10 words and even trying to order my meal tonight was difficult. Thankfully he spoke broken English so we made it work. I'm really hoping that I get used to all of this and learn a few more words so I can survive. I feel a bit like a fish out of water right now and I really don't want the language barrier to take away from all the amazing things that I want to see here in Paris. Well I wanted an adventure... lol


Well I'm off to take a large dose of advil and try and find some ice for my back... between walking around London today after I left my hostel and before my train and then here in Paris I've easily walked 5 miles today with my luggage. (reminder to myself to post a picture here later!) Between my main bag, my carry-on, and my purse it weighs overall probably around 45 pounds. YIKES! and OUCH. I even have lovely backpack shaped red marks on my shoulders. :)


Here's to hoping my impression of Paris changes for the better tomorrow!!!
Miss you all!
Love from Paris-
Em

Source: http://eescapdes.blogspot.com/2011/07/paris.html


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 nhận xét: on "E²: Paris"

Post a Comment