Monday, August 16, 2010

Why I Love Florida, Part III


Part III in my Why I Love Florida series.
(Part II)
(Part I)




This is my Florida and why I love it.








There are so many reasons I love Florida and in Parts I and II I showed you a lot of coastal scenery but still did not show you the entire coast.  It is my desire to take a long vacation and actually travel the entire coast of Florida and visit areas I have not seen before and some of my favorite spots.  For some reason people think Florida does not have seasonal changes but it does.  They are just different.  I for one, love that I can go to the beach all year long.  Although, you will not catch me swimming in the ocean during the winter months!  Brrr.  I am not a big fan of the cold or the necessity of wearing heavy clothing in order to keep warm.  I especially love our spring, summer and fall months.  I am not overly fond of winter and always hope that it is a quick one!  Here I am trying to pretend the end of summer is not looming and have been reading some blogs in which the writers are ready for fall and winter.





Another obvious reason Florida is a great place are all the fun places to visit.  We definitely have our fair share and then some of amusement parks.  Florida's theme parks include Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay which most everyone is familiar with.  Here are a few others you may not know about:




Silver Springs  - Ocala [River Cruises with glass bottom boats, Wildlife Exhibits, Botanical Gardens and other rides and activities]


 




Boggy Creek Airboat Rides - Kissimmee [30 minute airboat ride on 17 passenger airboat, 45 minute private airboat tour on 6 passenger boat & the 1 hour night airboat ride.]  Hey, does anyone remember the movie Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)?  I saw it when I was a little girl and I had nightmares for a year (or so it seemed)!  I was not supposed to be watching it but...  Just so you know, the movie was about Fouke, Arkansas, not Florida!  Read about it here.


  




Old Town - Kissimmee [If you love the 50's and 60's this is the place for you.  One of the reasons I like to go there is because on Saturdays they have 300 classic cars, hot rods, street rods and antiques parade down the brick streets of Old Town.  I love classic cars!  They have weekly events but my favorites are the car shows and cruises.]




Forever Florida - St. Cloud [Florida EcoSafaris on a 4700 acre eco-ranch and wildlife conservation]  Gorgeous, just gorgeous!  I have been on the 3-Day, 2-Night Overnight Horseback Safari and would love to go again.






Jungle Adventures Nature Animal Park - Cocoa Beach [a ten acre natural Florida environment to explore via pontoon river boat rides, paved footpaths and raised rustic boardwalks]






 Weeki Wachee Springs - Weeki Wachee [Swim at Buccaneer Bay, see the Misunderstood Creatures animal show, or take a riverboat ride down the Weeki Wachee River and into Old Florida.  They even have a summer Mermaid Camp. "The City of Live Mermaids -- is more than just mermaids; it’s a truly original piece of Florida’s rich heritage."]  Our family has a home on Weeki Wachee River and next door to us is a former WWS mermaid.  She has some WWS memorabilia from her days as a mermaid and I love to hear her stories about WWS.


 




Florida has something for everyone.  Do you prefer a cultural venue?  We have those also. 




Albin Polasek Museum & Sculp­ture Gar­dens - Winter Park [art col­lec­tion focus­ing pri­mar­ily on Ameri­can rep­re­sen­ta­tional sculp­ture, with over 200 works by Czech-born Amer­i­can sculp­tor Albin Polasek]






John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art - Sarasota ["The Museum of Art, built by John Ringling to house his personal collection of masterpieces, today features paintings and sculptures by the great Old Masters including Rubens, van Dyck, Velázquez, Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese, El Greco, Gainsborough and more."]






Museum of Florida History - Tallahassee ["Opened in 1977, the Museum of Florida History collects, preserves, exhibits, and interprets evidence of past and present cultures in Florida, and promotes knowledge and appreciation of this heritage."  "It focuses on artifacts and eras unique to Florida's development and on roles that Floridians have played in national and global events."]






The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens - Jacksonville [Located on the banks of the St. Johns River and offers a wide variety of educational tours and is "committed to engage and inspire through the arts, gardens and education. A permanent collection of more than 5,500 works of art."]


 




Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - Miami [Vizcaya was built to appear hundreds of years old on the day of its completion in 1916 and features a main house, ten acres of formal gardens, a rockland hammock (native forest), and historic village.]








What I have shared with you is just a mere drop in the bucket, there are just so many things to do.  If I listed even half of what interested just me alone, it would take you days to read this post!  I think you get the idea though with the randomly selected places listed above.





Thank you for taking the time to stop by today!  I enjoyed sharing a little bit of my state with you.  I hope you enjoyed the tour!






Today's post is linked to:







Hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer







If you have not already done so, please take a moment to stop by A Southern Daydreamer to see a full list of participants and check out what wonderful outdoor adventures they are sharing today.  Thank you Susan for continuing to host this great weekly meme!





Living, Laughing, and Loving


Tracy





(Photo Credit/Sources:  All photos are from the attractions' websites)


Source: http://msbake-it.blogspot.com/2010/08/why-i-love-florida-part-iii.html


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 nhận xét: on "Why I Love Florida, Part III"

Post a Comment