Wednesday, August 17, 2011

creativity, musings & such: Bookclub for Six

id='post-body-7159032917802577613'>




For the first time in 4 months we were finally all together for book club at Collette's house! And even though Jana's birthday was in May and Amy's birthday was 2 days before mine in July, we ended up celebrating my birthday with dinner, dessert and gifts.




I should have taken a picture of my plate before I started eating it, but Michelle made a great tri-tip roast, Jenn made gooey red potatoes, Collette provided Shirley's dreamy rolls, and Jana made a spinach salad with a dressing so delicious we wanted to finish it off with a straw! Amy didn't have a food assignment this month because she had just arrived home from vacation an hour before book club started!




After dinner we did some iPhone App talk and phone number swapping. Amy showed me a Paris Metro app she said I should have even though I have no idea when I'll ever get back to Paris. She's going again this fall (for her 5th time)!




For dessert Collette made some tasty chocolate chip bars with salted caramel ice cream and then we put Jenn's wonderful caramel on top of all that, plus Jenn sent me home with a cup of the remaining caramel! I ate some of it in the car on the way home with a spoon.



Mudbound was actually our book for July, but since only Collette, Amy and Jenn were able to get together that month (a first for us) they ended up just having dinner and talking that night and saved the book for this month. Next month's book is The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig, but I just finished reading it (and loved it) last week so I'm ahead for once!




We discussed the book for awhile and all liked the writing and the story. It got a little harsh at the end due to the touchy subject matter (race relations in the South), but 5 of us were fine with it and 1 was not. It made for a good discussion.




At the end of the night they presented me with 2 pedicure gift certificates (woohoo, woohoo, woohoo) and $50 for XPEDEX (they don't have gift cards there) so I can buy the super thick, expensive white cardstock I like to make my photo cards with. Plus they gave me 2 Twix bars...it's wrong how pleasing this is to me, but I never buy them for myself.


**Are you reading anything right now?

Do you buy candy bars for yourself?

Do you have a favorite app?**


Commitment Window Tidbit: I'm kind of in love with the Words with Friends game on my iPhone. Do any of you want to get a game going?


Source: http://jmsmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/bookclub-for-six.html


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 nhận xét: on "creativity, musings & such: Bookclub for Six"

Post a Comment